Sunday, September 1, 2013

Why do you want to lose weight this time?

I am often asked by those who learn about my weight loss journey why I chose to lose weight NOW. I stumble over the answers each time because I'm unsure of what to tell them. Maybe its the fact that I'm 27 and infertile because of my weight. Maybe its the fact that I was only 50 pounds away from my mothers weight when she died from obesity related health issues. Or maybe its because I was sick and tired of having the aches and pains of a 60 year old. I have so many reasons why I decided to lose weight NOW, but there is one clear answer, I want to live. Yes we could all be taken out by the hypothetical speeding car we always use in "live for the moment" scenarios, but in reality that likelihood is slim. Our habits have a greater chance of killing us than any rogue car. Losing weight is only a part of my journey, and yes while I may only be losing a pound or two a week, the fact is I am making healthier choices and leading a healthier lifestyle. I am not stuffing myself to capacity and then making myself throw it up. I'm not eating fast food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I'm not brushing off the idea of exercising. I'm not sucking down sweet teas instead of pure water. I am making changes and commitments that lead to a healthier lifestyle and the side effects of those decisions just happen to be weight loss. Of course, mentioning that I am losing weight always follows up to the question "how much have you lost?" that question is discouraging when I mention its only 10 - 15 pounds, but how can express the excitement of being able to walk 50 minutes without stopping? I cant explain how much that means to me more than the pound or two I lose each week. Yes I have my up and down days but my good days outweigh the bad. How can I get people to understand that! There are so many more accomplishments that I am so proud of that mean more to me than pounds lost. I am on my journey to be healthy and the weight i lose is just a bonus :)

1 comment: