Saturday, July 6, 2013

We could use a little "change"

So I watched the movie Forks Over Knives and I am absolutely terrified.  All my life I have eaten fried, fatty, breaded, and greasy foods.  The evidence presented in the movie was astounding! The causal link between an animal based diet and poor health was very eye opening. I’m an morbidly obese woman in my late 20s and I have high blood pressure, borderline high cholesterol, depression, and severe back pain because of my weight. As a young child, I knew we were poor but mom always made sure we ate good. While there were some nights I remember going to bed hungry,  I remember some nights we only had rice which was smothered in butter.  Everything we ate was fried to increase flavor. Our vegetables were green beans. Our fruits were….well….we didn’t eat a lot of fresh fruits. Later when we received government food boxes we had canned pork which I remember was covered in solidified grease and fat which tasted soo good when it was cooked. And sugar, oh my the sugar! Sweet tea, sugar water, kool aid, everything had sugar in it! When we got to place where we were able to have a little extra money I remember going  “fast food shopping” with mom. It was our bond. We went from KFC to Wendys to McDonalds. We ordered item after item from the menu. We didn’t have a lot of time together because she worked long hours so I enjoyed our time together and it was always food related. When I was in 3rd 5th grade and I weighed 230lbs, I didn’t think it was an issue. When I was 16 and had to shop in the men’s section of the store because the women’s plus size section didn’t have anything my size, I began to realize I had a problem. I started a walking program and began trying to eat better. I went vegetarian for 6 months and lost 60lbs. We couldn’t afford my “health food” so I went back to our regular diet and exploded.  Fast food and addictive food are so much easier to come by.  A 99 cent burger tastes so friggin amazing and its insanely cheap! And of course we eat salads, but we smother it in ranch dairy based dressings.  I’ve always said its cheaper to eat fat instead of healthy and that is a belief our culture has fallen victim to but I don’t know how we can change that.  How can we demand better  foods, fresher foods, reasonably priced organic foods??? How can we break our addiction to sugars and fats with our “pushers” on every street with their attractive neon colors and promises of a cheap thrill? How can we wake up to what we are doing to our bodies? How can we stop killing ourselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment